Sunday, October 10, 2010

Ruslan, Shopping, and Squatty Potties at the Mall

End of --It-doesn't-really-matter-what-day-because-we-are-never-leaving--

Yesterday, Saturday, I met a new family, the Lutz's and showed them how to use the Metro and bus systems.  We got to the bus station at 9:40 and had to wait, because the first bus was full.  The second bus came about ten minutes later and we got on this one.  It was full to begin with, but by the end, it was PACKED.  I mean, oh my  goodness, really PACKED!  There must have been something happening in Vorzel, because everyone was going there yesterday.  Plus, with so many people on the bus, it stopped constantly.  It took us almost 90 minutes just for the bus ride, so that we didn't get to Ruslan's baby house until about 11:25.  They took him at 11:45 again for lunch which means that we got a 20 minute visits for four hours of travel time.

When they came to get him, I called Nadya and asked her to talk to one of the orphanage workers for me.  Before we left, I wanted them to explain to Ruslan that we will not be coming every day anymore.  Sunday, we are staying home because we are all wiped out.  Monday we are going to Boyarka to look at the new boys and Tuesday through Friday, Bill will be gone.  I will come one of those days, but not every day, since it is just so hard to keep track of all four of the kids on the metro/bus by myself.  Anyway, I took about two minutes to explain that to Nadya, then handed the phone to one of the workers.  Nadya talked to her for about one minute and she talked to Ruslan for about ten seconds.  I just wonder if something might have been lost in the translation.  Looking back, I should have given the phone to Ruslan so he could talk directly to Nadya.  ...live and learn.

After the visit, we took the 12:30 bus back to Kiev and stopped at the last metro station on the red line.  That is quickly becoming my favorite stop.  I'll have to get some photos.  It's definitely not a tourist trap and full of lots of local color.  All the stuff is cheap and the prices are MARKED, so I know they are the same for everyone.  We can get a great lunch there.  The kids really like the stuffed sausage rolls--basically sausage wrapped in bread dough and baked.  It's really good.  I notice that there is not as much fat in the sausage and hamburger here as there is in the states.  If we tried to make those stuffed rolls at home, I'm afraid they would be a greasy mess, but the sausage/beef is not greasy here.  (I made burgers last night and there was NO grease in the pan when I was done.  It's kind of nice).

Anyway, the Lutz's also got some meat pies for about 8 cents each.  They are about 2 inches square and meant to be eaten as a snack, but they are good and really cheap.  They also have them filled with fruit.  I like the fruit ones.  I have been trying one new thing each time we hit that metro stop and this time, I tried an extra large meat pie.  It was 2 grivna--about 16 cents and it's about twice the size of the small ones.  The booth lady kept asking if I only wanted ONE, since they are small.  I finally convinced her and I'm glad I did because it was stuffed with an organ meat puree of some sort--definitely liver and kidney ---Horrible.  I took it home and gave it to Sharon.

Anyway, we do all our shopping at this stop.  I got a winter hat that looks like a really thick headband for 20 Grivna (about $2.50) and gloves for the kids for the same price.  We stupidly brought all our colorful American stuff and the gloves I brought for myself are white.  We all noticed right away that we stand out like crayola crayons on a black canvas.  About 95% of Ukrainians wear black coats and most have black clothes as well. I thought it was lack of imagination, but now I realize it's because there is some sort of black scum all over the city.  It's everywhere and when you go out your clothes get dirty, black marks on them.  In short, the white gloves are a bad fashion choice.  For $2.50, I'll be blending in from now on.

We don't usually get back from these visits until late afternoon. Yesterday, we got back around 2pm.  The parent/children who go to Vorzel usually get a nap in the early evening while the ones who stayed go grocery shopping. You just can't do weekly shopping here like you do in the states.  Stuff doesn't keep as long and it's not sold in big containers, like gallons of milk.  So, for example, the milk comes in little bottles, that hold about three cups, probably half-liters.  You can only carry so many of those at a time.  Plus, the bread doesn't last all that long.  I'm using a lot of bread crumbs in my cooking.  Anyway, we go shopping about every day or every other day.

On a side note, we went to a tourist bazaar a few days ago with Nadya.  She took us to the booth of a friend of hers.  The girls wanted a Maroishka doll and he had a really great one that was a family of about six kids, plus a dog, cat and chicken.  The other dolls are usually the same decorations (mom/daughter faces) all the way to the smallest, but this one had boys, girls and animals.  Matt has also been pestering us for a wooden mace.  They are everywhere.  We got him one and got the girls the dolls for about half his original price.  He still made out very well.  Paul didn't want anything.  He has his heart set on a plastic "Bakugan" toy that has nothing to do with Ukrainian culture and everything to do with whomping his friends in a Bakugan Brawl when we get back home.

Incidentally, Paul's journal - that he  has to keep for school - is hilarious.  He loves it here.  He loves trying new food and going new places.  He is adjusting probably the best of all of us.  But, for all that, his journal is all about imaginary worlds and places that he thinks up or plays on his DS or sees on TV.  I don't think he's written one thing about life here.  It's all about his alternate universes.  ...makes it hard to correct for grammar, since I'm not always sure that English grammar rules apply.

Finally, we went to a mall for dinner the other day.  It was Thursday, after we had a late appointment at the SDA to sign more papers.  There was a huge food court with food from all sorts of nations.  Sharon got dumplings, Reilly got egg rolls and sesame apples for dessert, Paul got fish meatballs at a Ukrainian buffet -and he liked them!  Bill got something like a pizza at a Turkish booth and Matt, of course, got a Quarter Pounder at McDonalds.  Poor thing!  He hates all the "unknowns" in our life here.  I just ate what the kids didn't finish--there was plenty.

The mall seemed almost American, UNTIL you hit the bathroom.  There was an attendant and we had to pay 2 Grivna to get a ticket to use the bathroom.  It was awful, considering there was a FULL TIME attendant there. It was dirty and stinky and the toilets didn't have seats, only about half of them actually flushed and, though I saw vents, I don't think their ventilation system was working AT ALL.  When I say the toilets don't have seats, what I mean is that there is not a toilet bowl, but instead two places to put your feet and a hole to squat over.  Charming.  What a place in such a nice, marble lined mall! 

Apparently, Ukrainians give attention to a very few select things and everything else, they flat out ignore.  On the list of  "ignored" items you will find; construction debris, sidewalk/curb repairs, landscaping, trash disposal, and bathrooms.  It's just so odd and unexpected.  Like our apartment, which is lovely on the inside, but the walk to it is like a slum in America, trash piles are unending, there is no landscaping and construction debris is everywhere.  Once you get in the door though, it's very modern and clean. 

Anyway, consider yourself up-to-date.  It's Sunday, about 3pm here.  We are probably going to loaf around the rest of the day, maybe go shopping for food, have a "movie night" and get a good nights sleep for the visit to Boyarka tomorrow.  Bill is sick, but the rest of us are fine.  Please pray that we find another boy to bring home tomorrow!!





3 comments:

  1. I guess you haven't had to experience their 'squatting toilets' which are nothing more than a what looks like a slop sink in the ground which you 'squat' over! You can experience very modern ones at the catacoobs which would be a great place to tour with the kids! (DOn't worry they have regular toilets too!) Good luck searching for Boy #2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Catacombs sound awesome. We'll have to ask Nadya. I did experience the "Squatty Potties" on a daily basis when I was here 20 years ago. Ahhh memories.... So, SO, much has changed here since then that the bathroom was a surprise. A little taste of soviet era potties in the ultra-modern mall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I alsways thought construction of the apartment house complexes were abandoned about 2 1/2 weeks before we woudl call them finished....I am sure it has to do with some 5-year plan (which in my experience were written after the 5 years were over....)

    ReplyDelete